Even though water is a huge blessing, water damages are the biggest threats to homes. Hence, it is important to know everything you can about homeowner’s insurance for water damage.
The good news is that homeowners insurance for water damage takes care of water problems but there is a catch- it does not cover all water problems.
Water Damages that Homeowners Insurance Services San Angelo Covers
Water damages are usually accidental and cannot be foreseen, such as burst pipes. However, damages that have been building up over time, such as a leaking sink in the guest bathroom do not fall under water damages.
Here are some water damages that homeowners insurance will commonly cover:
- Accidental leak: This can include a leaking appliance or leaking plumbing. From a dishwasher to a broken washing machine, your homeownersinsurance will cover these leaks.
- Burst pipes: This includes frozen pipes that burst randomly but the insurance policy will not cover any damage if you did not keep your house heated properly.
- Water damage due to a fire: If there was a fire in your house and the fire department used a hose or you used a sprinkler system to put out the fire, all expenses will be covered.
- Water damage from stormy weathers: Hail and heavy rain can cause damage to your home’s roof- these damages will be covered by your insurance plan.
- Water damage from a leaky roof: You can never predict when a tree might fall on your roof. If this tree damages the roof, causing water damage, your insurance company will cover it. However, this is only true if you fix it within a certain period of time.
- Ice dams: Homeowners insurance might cover any ice that damages your house or builds up in the gutters. However, this is only true if the damage was not due to a lack of maintenance.
Water Damages that Homeowners Insurance Will Not Cover
Homeowner insurance San Angelo does not cover the following water damages:
- Flood damage: Floods, including storm surges, hurricanes, tsunamis, heavy rains, and water from nearby rivers that cause damage to your home are not covered by homeowners insurance policies.
- Intentional water damage: If you set fire to your house or switch the heating off in peak winters, water damage will occur. However, your insurance company will not cover it.
- Water damage from leaks: Leaks could be from structure around the house, such as swimming pools. These will not be covered by your insurance policy.
- Water damage from earthquakes: This can also include a mudslide or landslide- our insurance policy will not cover any water damage caused in such an event.
When you find water damage in your home, the best thing you can do is take multiple pictures and contact your insurance company. If the damage is covered in your policy, you will have to pay a deductible- a percentage that you will pay all by yourself
To find out more about what is covered in homeowners insurance for water damage, get in touch with San Angelo Insurance.